Wednesday 14 December 2011

A bias fact

I recently bought a Kwik Sew Lingerie book, complete with master patterns. It was a book I'd been looking for all year.

Having traced out the master patterns, I successfully sewed a camisole from a warm white self-striped fabric remnant. The camisole is to be cut on the bias if using woven fabric, which I did for the white fabric.

Next, I convinced myself that it would be alright if I cut one on the straight grain. The blue fabric has inbuilt creases running on the grain and I'd convinced myself that it would look wrong going diagonally when cut on the bias!

Now, the camisole cut on the straight grain from woven fabric fits but the shape of the top cup area is not nice, it does not curve around the body, it just sits there like two triangles. I'm hoping some steam pressing will make it look better.

Lesson: Remember, pattern book sometimes does know best!

No comments:

Post a Comment