Wednesday, 29 August 2012

T-shirt style nightie with embroidery

A useful, quick project means a happy sewer.

The nightie has an embroidered pocket, button placket and mock flatlocked hem and sleeves. The fabric is a polyester cotton rib knit remnant - feels very soft. I used iron-on interfacing to stabilise the shoulder seams and in places around the neck and armhole edges. The pocket is machine embroidered with a cross stitch flower.

A dusty pink nightie for spring

Detail of button placket and pocket. I have previously
used soft velcro thinking it would be easier for nursing staff, but have found
they don't generally close the velcro or buttons

Mock flatlocked hem

The pattern came from this pattern pack.
I have made several nighties from this pattern-
see older blog posts

Monday, 27 August 2012

Polo style top

Body length shortened for Misses' sizes as per pattern directions,
self-fabric used for the collar

Zip closure

Actual garment looks better than the technical drawing

  • Fabric a polycotton rib knit remnant
  • Self-fabric collar
  • If wearing it as a close-fitting version the zip is more for looks only unless you like the high neck look
  • I made this in XS size for my Mum who has shrunk to a size 8 or less, but it also fits Mary in a more body hugging way and Mary is a size 10-12.

Monday, 20 August 2012

Lettuce edging top

I made this several weeks ago and have been wearing it fairly regularly - so Mary hasn't had a chance to model it until now. It is from a Spotlight brand pattern and is a raglan sleeve top. I have modified it by making lettuce edges on the sleeves and hems with the overlocker.

  • This pattern is quite close fitting under the arms and the neckline is quite wide. The sleeves also seem quite long, although if made as per the pattern they will form that puff at the sleeve hem. I shortened them by about 4cm.
  • I used two layers of light weight interfacing on the neckband and it was quite stiff initially but after a couple of washed it has relaxed and kept its shape.

Embroidered pocket nightie

Another nightie but this time with a monogram and floral stem on the pocket. I used a 100% cotton knit with a light print of sea horses, fish and shells.

The basic pattern

Short sleeves, velcro placket, a pocket and no neck binding
 (the edge was turned over and stitched)

Close-up of placket and pocket

Pocket detail - machine embroidered
Reduce needle tension on the embroidery (there was some bobbin thread showing)

Monday, 13 August 2012

Machine Embroidery

I'm so happy with my recently acquired Janome Memory Craft 5700. It works well and the hoop my father made fits the machine and the designs from the embroidery cards I bought from Ebay turn out just like they should.

Thursday, 9 August 2012

One-Yard Knit Blouse by Butterick 3799

A simple T-Shirt made from cotton or cotton blend ribbed knit remnant.

This secondhand pattern was missing the instruction sheet
 and only had the pattern pieces for view B (the one I made).

  • The V-neck is quite wide and low, perhaps the medium was a bit big for me.
  • Wooly nylon overlock thread melts when ironed on cotton setting.

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Blouse with cap sleeves

While I problem solved how to make the next waist coat for my Father, I 'relaxed' by sewing a blouse.

Pattern: Simplicity 9024 Extra-Sure Pattern from 1979
Size: 12
Fabric: printed cotton remnant

Style: Shirt with front button closing with collar, pocket and cap sleeves.

Time taken: less than 5 hours (about 2 evenings)

  • I used slightly smaller buttons from my button jar
  • The iron-on interfacing I used was very lightweight and I used two layers of it (probably unnecessarily but it seemed a good idea at the time)
  • I tapered the seam line from the waist to widen the shirt slightly at the hemline for a smoother fit over jeans.
  • Instead of pinking the edges, I overlocked them.
Printed cotton fabric remnant by Caprice

Extra-Sure - yes, it is hard to make a mistake with this pattern

Mary wears the blouse well.